THE MAKING OF ORKUT

A guy lost his girlfriend in a train accident.... 

but the gal's name nowhere appeared in the dead list. 

This guy grew up n became IT technical architect in his late 20?s, achievement in itself!!

He hired developers from the whole globe and plan to make a software where he could search for his gf through the web.. 

Things went as planned... 

n he found her, after losing millions of dollars and 3 long years!! 

It was time to shut down the search operation, when the CEO of Google had a 
word with this guy n took over this application, 

This Software made a whopping 1 billion dollars profit in its first year, 

which we today know as ORKUT. 

The guy's name is ORKUT BUYUKKOTEN Yes its named after him only. Today he is paid a hefty sum by Google for the things we do like scrapping. He is expected to b the richest person by 2009.. 

ORKUT BUYUKKOTEN today has 13 assistants to monitor his scrapbook & 8 to 

monitor his friends-list. He gets around 20,000 friend-requests a day & about 85,000 scraps!!! 

Some other Cool Facts about this guy: 

Founder, Richest Man by 2009

* He gets $12 from Google when every person registers to this website. 

* He also gets $10 when you add somebody as a friend. 

* He gets $8 when your friend's friend adds you as a friend & gets $6 if 

anybody adds you as friend in the resulting chain. 

* He gets $5 when you scrap somebody & $4 when somebody scraps you. 

* He also gets $200 for each photograph you upload on Orkut. 

* He gets $2.5 when you add your friend in the crush-list or in the hot-list. 

* He gets $2 when you become somebody's fan. 

* He gets $1.5 when somebody else becomes your fan. 

* He even gets $1 every time you logout of Orkut. 

* He gets $0.5 every time you just change your profile-photograph. 

* He also gets $0.5 every time you read your friend's scrap-book & $0.5 every time 
you view your friend's friend-list.

Quote this message in a replyReply

Good Information Chandu garu.

నిజమా......? చాలా అద్బుతమైన విషయాన్ని తెలియచేసినందుకు ధన్యవాదాలు

I would like to quote something here

Quote:He hired developers from the whole globe and plan to make a software where he could search for his gf through the web.
This is not true He is just a Google Employee came from Affinity Engines(A very small software company).Orkut is developed at Google Development center itself.Google allows employees to spend 20% of there work time for personal independent project development and this guy who already worked for Affinity Engines started developing another script base don his previous work which is later named as Orkut.Affinity Engines filed a case against this guy for stealing the code when he left there office as well as against Google.

Quote:Today he is paid a hefty sum by Google for the things we do like scrapping. He is expected to b the richest person by 2009..
He is just a developer at Google.He worked for Google using there work time and there equipment so he will get his general payment as all other developers are paid.

And finally i must tell a small thing here

Orkut is a BIG FAILURE to Google.Google made Orkut as public site in 2004(removing invite only rule).After 5 years it is still in BETA state Wink please observe the Orkut Logo you can still see BETA there which means It is not 100% ready yet.

As you see Google Maps and Google Wave(ask me if you need any invites) are developed in same way by two brothers they both are just Class-A developers at Google nothing more than it.According to Google rule they can use 20% of work time for there independent projects but Google is the Solo owner for the things they developed.Only a small amount around 5-10% of the income is given to them in addition to there salary.Google holds entire rights for every activity in there development center.

PS: you can see his personal page here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to view. ( Made by him when he was studying at Staford University in 2001)

EDIT: WOW i can see the same story on almost all Indian blogs and websites but as far as i know this is not true.I had a community talk with one of the two bros,Lars Rasmussen ,who developed Google maps as well as Google wave at "Google I/O".He said that he loves google coz they never restrict any person in doing a work and also offer 20% free time for there independent work at that time he realized that Orkut also developed in same way

Regards
Mohan