A Bag of Marbles

The Miracle Marble manufacturing Company manufactures orange marbles and purple marbles.

A Bag of their marbles may contain any combination of orange and purple marbles (including all orange or all purple) and all combinations are equally probable.

One of my friend bought a bag of their marbles and pulled one out at random. It was Purple.

What is the probability that if he pulled out a second marble at a random?????

Please try to provide the solution for this !!!!!

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers,

Quote this message in a replyReply

chandu garu this problem will solve on the probability factor the formula for probability is n!/(n-r)!

Let me explain in detail

A glass jar contains 6 red, 5 green, 8 blue and 3 yellow marbles. If a single marble is chosen at random from the jar, what is the probability of choosing a red marble? a green marble? a blue marble? a yellow marble?

Outcomes: The possible outcomes of this experiment are red, green, blue and yellow.

Probabilities:
P(red) = # of ways to choose red = 6 = 3
----------------------------- ------ ----
total # of marbles 22 11

P(green) = # of ways to choose green = 5
------------------------------ ----
total # of marbles 22

P(blue) = # of ways to choose blue = 8 = 4
------------------------- ----- -----
total # of marbles 22 11

P(yellow) = # of ways to choose yellow = 3
--------------------------- -----
total # of marbles 22

I think u r able to understand this

Thank you very much for your question

మిత్రమా మనోహర్ గారు,

నన్ను క్షమించ గలరు.

నాకు అర్థము అయ్యిందో కాలేదో కూడా అర్థం కాని పరిస్థితిలో ఉన్నానండీ!!! (అన్యధా భావించవద్దని నా విన్నపము)

జవాబు ఇవ్వగలరని నా ఆశిస్తున్నాను.

ధన్యవాదములు

మీ...

Solution:

There is a probability of 2/3 that the second marble would also be purple. This result is independent of the number of marbles in the bag.

This proof is as follows:

Let n = number of marbles in bag.

Each  of the following n+1 combinations has a probability of  1/(n+1)

No. of Bags                                        No. of Purple Marbles

0                                                                       n

1                                                                      n-1

2                                                                      n-2            

....                                                                    ........

(n-k)                                                                k

....                                                                   ..........

n                                                                       0

There are a total number of n(n+1)/2 purple marbles in all of the above combinations, each of which has an equal probability, 2/n(n+1),  of being picked up first, if the first one picked is specified as being purple. Thus, the probability that the first marble came from the bag with a given number, k,  of purples is 2k/n(n+1).  After the first one is picked, there are  k-1 purples among the  n-1 marbles left in the bag, and the probability  of the second pick being purple is (k-1)/(n-1). The probability that the first purple marble came from that bag and that the second marble was also purple is the product of the individual probabilities, 2k(k-1)/n(n-1).

The Overall probability of all the possible combinations is

n

Σ     2k(k-1)/n(n+1)(n-1) = 2(1/3)(n-1)(n+1)/n(n-1)(n+1) = 2/3

k=0

Thanks,

ofcourse u r right my dear friend, i tried with my basic knowledge, any way thank you very much for giving explanation